httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: checksum madness - got it
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:45:57 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:

> yeaaahh, I got it now: nobody cares about different formats, and we dont
> want to commonly agree for the most usable format, and things stay as
> they are ....

To put this into perspective, checking an md5 (or sha1) checksum is
simply a case of doing the following three steps:

- Run md5sum, or openssl, or perl, or whatever you want, and get the md5
hash string of the binary you downloaded printed out to your terminal.

- Using your OS' built in "cut and paste" functionality, cut the
generated md5 checksum.

- Load the reference hash file from www.apache.org in your browser, and
paste your generated md5 hash into your browser's "find" functionality.
Did the find succeed? If so, the binary matches, and you're done.

This procedure is really simple, and works almost anywhere.

If we really want to fix this problem for users of md5sum, we should
rather be teaching md5sum how to read all the various combinations of
inputs out there. I am sure the people who maintain md5sum would be
grateful for the contribution.

> In case
> someone is interested in that, or in the script (I post mainly for the
> few users who might hang out here - I know devs prefer to hack their own
> shell scripts, and dont call tools without at least one pipe :) :) ),
> then go here:
> http://www.gknw.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=570

This is a very useful summary.

Regards,