httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r818492 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/cache/mod_cache.c modules/cache/mod_cache.h
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:10:31 GMT
Dan Poirier wrote:

> What I'd been thinking about, but haven't implemented yet, was extending
> the cache provider API (in trunk only) so we can ask the cache provider
> for the size.
>
> Your idea of a wrapper function sounds good for 2.2 though, since it
> doesn't require an API change.  How about if I give that a try in trunk
> so we can see how it works before considering a backport?

Thinking further on what Ruediger said, I agree with him - we cannot
assume on behalf of an underlying module what it might cache, or how it
might cache it.

It is possible that a cache might choose to cache incomplete files[1],
and this feature would prevent it from doing so.

I think this feature makes far more sense living in mod_disk_cache for
now, rather than mod_cache, as mod_disk_cache's current behaviour is to
cache complete responses.

[1] Think of a YouTube type scenario, where a user might download part
of a video, then stop it. In this case a cache might benefit by passing
a range request to the backend to complete a partially cached file,
rather than attempting to cache the file again from scratch.

Regards,
Graham