httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release httpd mod_ftp-0.9.5 beta?
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 00:18:47 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> Befehl:	OPTS UTF8 ON
>> Antwort:	504 Error (no message)
>>
>> so clearly mod_ftp now claims to support UTF8, but when FZ tries to set
>> it then it returns an error ....
>
> Good catch.  Investigating, but I believe returning success is sufficient
> for most unix and windows platforms.  But OS2?  Do we need to evaluate that
> APR_FILEPATH_ENCODING_UTF8 flag?

With respect to FZ, I plan no change for client authors who deliberately
ignore the relevant RFC's.  See specifically;

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3659.txt
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2640.txt
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2389.txt

and understanding these, review the author's commentary...

http://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12655-bug-in-utf8-support/
http://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5789-feat-and-opts-utf8/

... who clearly don't know how to read a spec, never mind how to write
a client.

There is no RFC specified command OPTS UTF8, and we should not persist this
myth.