httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid] Cleaning up configuration directive names
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:48:34 GMT
On 21.09.2009 13:03, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org
> <mailto:rpluem@apache.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 09/21/2009 10:07 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
>     > The names of the configuration directives of mod_fcgid are somehow
>     > inconsistent. At least it's abit hard to remmber, that some directives
>     > use a prefix FCGI, others use FastCgi (and most do not have a
>     prefix for
>     > a namespace).
>     >
>     > I'm not sure, how important we take configuration compatibility
>     with the
>     > pre-existing mod_fcgid (non-ASF) but I think we should at least
>     cleanup
>     > th einconsistent use of FCGI vs. FastCgi.
>     >
>     > Comments?
>
>     IMHO move them to the FCGI prefix namespace.
>

> or FCGID maybe?
>

>     Maybe we can think about
>     keeping the namespace aware and the non namespace aware directives
>     in parallel
>     for some time to ease the migration for the users.
>

> yeah
>
> A user ought to be able to trivially adopt (and even unadopt) mod_fcgid
> for a while.
>

>     Or provide them with a proper sed script to fix their config :-).
>

> too much effort to get some users to try it ;)

OK, so it seems the current proposal is:

- prefix all configuration directives of mod_fcgid with "FCGID"
  Any complaints about using FCGID?

- use CamelCase notation for all of them

- keep the old ones around for compatibility

  - Is the best way of doing this by copying all the existing
    AP_INIT_* in fcgid_cmds?

  - Should we have a copied entry for each old directive in the docs,
    or should we only have entries for the new ones, and inside
    <compatibility> add a note with the old deprecated name?
    I would prefer this and maybe a general section about the renaming
    to put some moral pressure on people to fix their config.

Any other name changes needed? I guess SharememPath -> SharedMemoryPath
would also be good.

Concerning an sed script for migration support: I think we can probably
deliver a basic one, but a full migration script would have to cope e.g.
with configurations split up into diverse files.

Regards,

Rainer