httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release httpd mod_ftp-0.9.5 beta?
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:33:19 GMT
Gregg L. Smith wrote:

> This is not what I was implying, sorry if it came out that way and I
> know it got jumbled into the thread. I was more trying to address the
> lack of interest. Remember, your email covered two things really, voting
> and lack of interest to vote.
>
> Maybe I see things too simple or simply incorrectly, how I see it is
> end-user use is proportionate to availability, dev interest may be
> proportionate to users interest?

There is certainly some relationship there, but often user and dev interest
diverge.  If you count how many users wish the httpd project would have
stuck with "their" tried-and-true 1.3, the project would never have moved
forwards at all :)

> You need to have releases to get users to use it and generate interest,
> you need to have the votes to get the release. Self defeating policy
> when it comes to "new" things that could box you into a no win
> situation.[...]

Carts and horses, yup :)

> Windows users are spoiled rotten cause they are bred that way and
> therefore will require a binary since not many Windows users will
> compile, you opened that barn door on 6/20/98. Linux users are really
> just as spoiled for the most part but are fortunate in that their
> distros provide binaries via yum/apt get so they do not have to make as
> much noise to the ASF to get what they want in binaries.

As a footnote, I disagree with you.  Windows users weren't spoiled, but
deprived.  Deprived of the compiler/linker build toolchain that most
operating systems sported, and most of them free, at that :)

The express editions have improved the situation dramatically, let's
hope MS keeps that up :)

Bill