httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r814091 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES support/htcacheclean.c
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:10:05 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> You misunderstood my comment (possibly because I didn't write it
> clearly).  What I meant by
>
> "Why not simply zap all these checks of the form
>
> if (silly user specified no-argument option again) {
>   remind them who is boss
> }
>
> to avoid code bloat?"
>
> is that I didn't think it was important to check for the user specifying
> the same option more than once.

I interpreted you as saying:

zap == remove completely
"silly user specified no-argument option again" != "silly user specified
option again"

which made no sense to me at all, thus I asked for clarification.

Instead of clarification I get "Ignoring the opinion that it isn't worth
writing this code code for a moment, isn't it a sign that something
needs further work when the same exact string occurs 9 times in the code?"

The goal of the patch was to fix the fact that every error case resulted
in the same output behaviour, it wasn't to make a call as to whether an
error message was necessary or not. All 9 error cases had the same
string because a sane compiler would have optimised this to just one string.

As it turned out, I didn't remove the 9 cases, even though they are
probably overkill, because I didn't want to get beaten up by somebody
asking me why I was making two changes in one patch. Oh well.

Regards,
Graham