httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: Using mod_fcgid without matching files (virtual)
Date Sat, 12 Sep 2009 02:05:00 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> wrote:
> On 12.09.2009 01:44, Rainer Jung wrote:

>>> Isn't this the same as using Action virtual, and associating the target
>>> of the Action command to mod_fcgid?  Any reason to reimplement this in
>>> several places?
>>
>> As far as I can see, Action only allows to map handlers and conten types
>> to scripts.
>>
>> mod_fcgid allows to use various FastCGI "applications" mapped by
>> individual path suffixes (e.g. .php4, .php5 via FCGIWrapper).
>>
>> Furthermore I wasn't actually successful in making Action and mod_fcgid
>> interoperate.
>
> OK, I can make it work using for example:
>
> AddHandler fcgid-example1 .fcgi
> AddHandler fcgid-example2 .fcgi2
>
> Action fcgid-example1 /fcgi/wrapper virtual
> Action fcgid-example2 /fcgi/wrapper2 virtual
>
> <Location /fcgi/>
>    SetHandler fcgid-script
>    Options +ExecCGI
> </Location>
>
> So now the question is: do we need the FCGIWrapper directive at all?

Just because mod_actions exists, doesn't mean we should promote its use.

The Confguration takes 6+ lines to configure soemthing like php, vs 1
line for mod_php.  Get it to something like 1-2 lines to configure
IMO, so that its not a 'configuration sniplet' to setup PHP under
fastcig, but rather a 'trivial configuration line'.

-Paul