httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: httpd modules and the GPL
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:41:56 GMT

On 15 Aug 2009, at 09:01, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To clarify how something might be licensed, if an httpd module was
> written that was designed to expose a library that was GPL, would that
> httpd module need to also be GPL'ed? (I assume yes). Would the writing
> of such a module violate any terms of the ASL? (I assume no). Would
> the
> writing of such a module violate the terms of the GPL? (no idea).

Yes, no, no.  But the yes has a caveat: an explicit exception from
the copyright holder on the GPL lib would turn it to a No.

We have plenty of precedent you can google for.  In APR we
have this exact situation with MySQL and GDBM.  And there's
a related situation with third-party GPL modules that can't be
bundled with HTTPD but can be distributed as separate
rpm/deb/pkg/etc with a dependency on httpd.

--
Nick Kew