httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: mod_cache, mod_deflate and Vary: User-Agent
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:20:45 GMT
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:47 AM, William A. Rowe,
Jr.<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> I think we blew it :)
>
> Vary: user-agent is not practical for correcting errant browser behavior.
>
> For example;

> produces a myriad number of 'variant' flavors when tagging Vary with
> the User-Agent when determining if the deflate/gzip compression should
> be served, or the uncompressed variant.
>
> What we really meant to do was to determine which Accept-Encoding values
> were invalid based on known browser bugs, and -remove them- from the A-E
> header *prior* to determining the cache handling (quick handler hook) or
> typical content handling.
>
> Which implies that setenvif + headers need an extra chance to run really
> first in front of the quick handler.
>
> Any better suggestions?

Yes, write a Varied header to 'hash' plugin API for mod_cache.

I would write little lua scriptlets that map user agents to two
buckets: supports gzip, doesnt support gzip.  store the thing in
mod_cache only twice, instead of once for every user agent.