httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Events, Destruction and Locking
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 14:01:24 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> Yes, but in a separate process it has fault isolation.. and we can
> restart it when it fails, neither of which are true for modules using
> the in-process API directly -- look at the reliability of QMail, or
> the newer architecture of Google's Chrome, they are both great
> examples of fault isolation.

As is httpd prefork :)

I think the key target for the event model is for low-complexity
scenarios like shipping raw files, or being a cache, or a reverse proxy.

If we have three separate levels, a process, containing threads,
containing an event loop, we could allow the behaviour of prefork (many
processes, one thread, one-request-per-event-loop-at-a-time), or the
bahaviour of worker (one or many processes, many threads,
one-request-per-event-loop-at-a-time), or an event model (one or many
processes, one or many threads,
many-requests-per-event-loop-at-one-time) at the same time.

I am not sure that splitting request handling across threads (in your
example, connection close handled by event on thread A, timeout handled
by event on thread B) buys us anything (apart from the complexity you
described).

Regards,
Graham