httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Events, Destruction and Locking
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:01:26 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> This deals with removing an event from the pollset, but what about an
> event that had already fired, as I gave in the original example  of a
> timeout event firing the same time a socket close event happened?

In that case I suppose the only solution is to make the operations
atomic. Since both operations would lead to the same result
(closing a connection) I suppose an atomic state flag should be enough.

> In that state you have two threads both in a 'run state' for a
> connection, and I'm not sure how the pre-cleanup to pools solves this
> in any way?

It won't because the cleanup pool API doesn't bother with
cleanup callback return values, so there's no way to bail out
from the pool cleanup call. I suppose we could modify the
pre-cleanup to handle the retval from callback and breaks the
entire pool cleanup if one of them returns something other
then APR_SUCCESS. Then the callback function can decide
weather there is a pending close operation or not.

Regards
--
^(TM)