On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Albert Lash <albert.lash@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Apache" is not a committee that decides what should be developed or imposes
> standards like selection of implementation language or other such details.
> The common aspects are instead issues like governing structure, licensing,
> and community model.  (See http://incubator.apache.org/ and docs linked from
> that page.)
>
> The predominance of one language or another simply reflects the desire of
> the groups that started the projects.
>
> Or:
>
> Start a project (and of course select implementation details like language).
> Generate shared interest in ongoing open source development/support.
> Decide as a group that you agree with ASF principles and would like to see
> it as an ASF project.
> Go to http://incubator.apache.org/ and proceed from there.

Thanks Jeff, I hope your use of quotes doesn't mean I've painted
myself clueless.

I wouldn't put it exactly in those terms ;)  Your comment did seem to stem from a misunderstanding, and the rapid +1 led me to think that this misunderstanding might be more widely held (and I was stuck trying to decide out how to properly verify the fix for a defect I had opened), so I responded.