httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:47:46 GMT
Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> writes:

> The <If> directive, along with better documentation, would solve 50% of what
> people use mod_rewrite for. A less painful way to configure dynamic virtual
> hosts would solve another 15%. And a healthy dose of education about all the
> gross misconceptions called "SEO" would solve the rest.
>
> Yes, we need some kind of macro thingy in the configuration. And while I think
> that most of us reading this email thread can handle that thingy being Lua, I
> honestly don't believe that the folks over on the users@ list can, unless it's
> something that can be embedded into existing configurations, rather than being
> the entirety of the configuration.

If we can fix the biggest problems with the current configuration
scheme, I think that's a powerful argument that we don't need to throw
it out and invent a whole new one.  As others have said, there's a huge
amount of knowledge out there based on the current configuration scheme,
and throwing all that out would be a shame.

--
Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com>