httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r785425 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/mappers/mod_dir.c
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:51:47 GMT

On Jun 16, 2009, at 18:43, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> This might be NotFoundHandler or for dir-not-file, ListingHandler.
> Sorry; not ListingHandler, but IndexHandler.
> But there is no point to a NotFoundHandler; the existing mechanics
> in ScriptAlias combined with PATH_INFO solve that problem already.
> I think the interest was in handling the directory resource URI and
> that would be an IndexHandler, absolutely.

The intent was to call a something (I'd call it a handler) for
requests that don't correspond to a resource. This is to answer the
frequent configuration:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . index.php [PT]

ie - if the request wasn't for a file, send the request directly to
index.php (or, or wordpress.php, or whatever)

and variations thereof that occur in every PHP web app I install these
days. This situation is common enough that it seems like something we
aught to support out of the box.

In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of
choice, but nothing to choose from. (Peter Ustinov)

View raw message