httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r785425 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/mappers/mod_dir.c
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:51:47 GMT

On Jun 16, 2009, at 18:43, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> This might be NotFoundHandler or for dir-not-file, ListingHandler.
>
> Sorry; not ListingHandler, but IndexHandler.
>
> But there is no point to a NotFoundHandler; the existing mechanics
> in ScriptAlias combined with PATH_INFO solve that problem already.
>
> I think the interest was in handling the directory resource URI and
> that would be an IndexHandler, absolutely.

The intent was to call a something (I'd call it a handler) for
requests that don't correspond to a resource. This is to answer the
frequent configuration:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . index.php [PT]

ie - if the request wasn't for a file, send the request directly to
index.php (or index.pl, or wordpress.php, or whatever)

and variations thereof that occur in every PHP web app I install these
days. This situation is common enough that it seems like something we
aught to support out of the box.

--
In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of
choice, but nothing to choose from. (Peter Ustinov)