httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:13:27 GMT

On Jun 4, 2009, at 22:53, Graham Leggett wrote:

>> This approach doesn't require any changes to httpd itself as the
>> ability to do this becomes a feature of just the module supporting
>> that scripting language, eg, mod_lua. The same could also be done for
>> other scripting languages.
>>
>> So, if your aim is to be able to do everything within the one Apache
>> configuration file, rather than out in separate scripts, this would
>> seem in part to satisfy the requirement.
>
> I like this.
>
> In theory, you could have a mod_java, or anything really.

As one of the folks who answers the "How Do I" questions every day,
while that would indeed be neato and nifty, it behooves us to pick a
configuration file syntax, not say "do it in whatever language amuses
you."

We've had configuration in Perl for years, but we don't push it
because most of our audience looks at us like aliens when we suggest
it. The folks savvy enough to use the Perl configuration can go find
it and do it that way, and can indeed do powerful things with it.

But the vast majority of the folks that actually admin the server
don't want to be told to script their configuration in the programming
language of their choice. They want a howto recipe, and they want it
to work without having fiddle about with learning complicated syntax.

I'd also humbly request that we *not* put "Lua" in the configuration
directives. If folks are configuring a virtual host, they aren't going
to be looking for directives starting with Lua*. Over the years we
seem to have moved from giving configuration directives whatever name
sprang to mind, to giving them function-based names that people will
actually find in the documentation. Let's not scrap that. Our users
don't care that it's implemented in Lua, and shouldn't have to care.

--
If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---