httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:48:23 GMT
On 6/10/09 10:21 AM, "Dan Poirier" <poirier@pobox.com> wrote:

>> That sounds a whole lot like using the config as a runtime.
>
> I'm not sure I follow that.  I do like that the config would still look
> a lot like it does now, only more flexible.

Even if we kept the same general syntax as now, if we introduce variables
and if/else, then the "config" has to be "compiled" and "ran" at request
time. (Glossing over a lot, I know.)  Also, module would have to have some
interface to accept the variables and conditionals. Also, we would have to
basically write our own domain-specific language.  My thought is rather than
incrementally attempting to do this, we can just adopt an existing language
that fits our needs - like lua.  This adoption can be done incrementally, as
well.  Some examples of that, using a more complete version of mod_lua, have
been mentioned.

--
Brian Akins