httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:50:44 GMT

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Bertrand Mansion
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. Juni 2009 22:35
> An: dev@httpd.apache.org
> Betreff: Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
>

> Lua can look like this :
>
> DocumentRoot = "/htdocs"
> ServerName = "www.example.com"
> VirtualHosts = {
>   "www.example.com" = { DocumentRoot = "/example.com/htdocs" }
> }

I am not very enthusiastic about going for lua as the configuration
language and even the above example doesn't convince me.
But I might be very biased here, since I live well with the current configuration
schema since about 9 years and I am used to it.
Furthermore I like mod_rewrite and I have no problems using it :-).
But apart from that two points:

1. There are many and large and complex configurations out in the world.
   If we do such a drastic change in configuration IMHO we either need to
   1.1 Allow both approaches for configuring the server (current one + lua),
       which I guess will also increase user confusion, maintenance effort
       and support effort.
   1.2 Build a tool that converts over 90% of the current configurations
       flawlessly into the new schema.

2. I admit that some improvements are needed. How about an approach that allows
   to embed a macro / scripting language into the current configuration system
   that allows you to do more advanced things if you need to.
   (OK, yes this proposal contradicts some of the downsides I mentioned in
    1.1. So I am not consistent here :-)).

Regards

Rüdiger