httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Albert Lash <albert.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: incubator proposal for (what was once) Inktomi Traffic Server
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:32:13 GMT
> "Apache" is not a committee that decides what should be developed or imposes
> standards like selection of implementation language or other such details.
> The common aspects are instead issues like governing structure, licensing,
> and community model.  (See http://incubator.apache.org/ and docs linked from
> that page.)
>
> The predominance of one language or another simply reflects the desire of
> the groups that started the projects.
>
> Or:
>
> Start a project (and of course select implementation details like language).
> Generate shared interest in ongoing open source development/support.
> Decide as a group that you agree with ASF principles and would like to see
> it as an ASF project.
> Go to http://incubator.apache.org/ and proceed from there.

Thanks Jeff, I hope your use of quotes doesn't mean I've painted
myself clueless. I admit - poor choice of words on my part. I
understand that there wasn't a conscious decision by "Apache" to
switch to Java. I only meant to say that I, personally, would be
pleased to see more C/C++ projects under the Apache umbrella at large
for the selfish reasons that I really like how ASF runs things and
that I really like C/C++. :-)