httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Creating a new thread inside a module
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:07:04 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> However it requires to be statically compiled so it
>>> can survive the child death.
>>
>> *That's* the reason for static?!?   See mod_aspdotnet and several
>> others for how to pin a particular .so module for the lifetime of
>> the process, instead of per-restart.
>>

> Why can't we make some simpler API for such modules instead
> hacking the current one when it is obvious that there are
> modules that cannot survive the graceful restart?
>
>> No modules in trunk should require static compilation, period.
>>

> There is a difference between should and must, but seems
> to me there's no decent API for that.

mod_aspdotnet is ASL 2.0, and if you want the providence, I'll branch
that fragment from the ASF svn graveyard :)  But demarking first from
later restarts using the pool API is really the module author's job.
I suppose I could hack that into mod_example for people looking for
that code.  WDYT?

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/mod_aspdotnet/trunk/mod/mod_aspdotnet.cpp?revision=420045&pathrev=581524

See asp_module_lock - this is entire windows specific; you are right
that we don't have the API to pin the module in an apr-manner.  That
really shouldn't be all that hard to do, I'll look.  The register_hook
API seems to be the right place to usually do this.

See asp_net_pre/post_config - this is done entirely without statics,
although other module authors figure what's wrong with a static for
exactly this application?