httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_substitute memory problem
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:01:14 GMT
Nick Gearls wrote:

> If using the "q" switch to not flatten the buckets, it uses almost no
> memory. Btw, it correctly handles more 60 substitutions on the same line
> (some shorter, some longer) without the q flag !?! When exactly is this
> flag needed?

The "q" switch causes the pattern to fail every time the match pattern
spans two filter input buffers.  So it's very hit-or-miss and you have
no assurance that it can process this all.

Since the filter is built for text, and text is generally arranged with
lines short than 300KB, I wouldn't spend a bunch of time on this.  Take
a look at httpd trunk's mod_sed and see if the real thing is kinder with
respect to memory utilization; it truly is a stream editor.