httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Gearls <nickgea...@gmail.com>
Subject mod_substitute memory problem
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:11:16 GMT
Hello,

There seems to be a memory problem when substituing something on very
long lines (several hundreds KB). this problem is different from bug
44948 (I applied this patch).

When using something like "Substitute s/string1/string2/" on a 300 KB
line with 30 times "string1" on the line, there are 2 problems:

1. It uses a huge amount of memory, as - I think - it reallocates a new
buffer (300 KB) before each substitute without freeing the previous one

2. The memory is not freeed at the end of the HTTP request.
Maybe is it due to Keep-alive?

If using the "q" switch to not flatten the buckets, it uses almost no
memory. Btw, it correctly handles more 60 substitutions on the same line
(some shorter, some longer) without the q flag !?! When exactly is this
flag needed?

In macro SEDSCAT, we have
	s2 = apr_pstrmemdup(pool, buff, blen);
         s1 = apr_pstrcat(pool, s1, s2, NULL);
Shouldn't we free the previous s1 buffer?

Anyway, I do not understand why the memory is not released, as the pool
is supposed to be destroyed.

Regards,

Nick