httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rotatelogs - Adding timeout for reading from stdin
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:33:52 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be better if we simply implement the mechanism to share
>>> the same handle between the parent and child?
>> Since the parent does not receive any access log hits how
>> would that prevent it from holding that handle forever?
>
> The parent's handle to the process would be the child's handle to the
> process.  There would only be one rotatelogs process.

And I suppose this will work only with httpd trunk.

However I'll have to see the actual implementation
before making any conclusions.

>> And I would certainly like to hear from Jim what he proposes
>> for rotatelogs solution for holding the file handles in parent.
>
> There should be no parent vs child question here.  The right fix is
> one process, just as on unix.  Windows bubblegum and bailing wire is
> the wrong fix.

Why? Timeout on reading from stdin is a nice and clean way for making the
rotation to happen even when there is no log entries fired that would
break the block on stdin. Rotation would always happen at midnight,
not at some random point of time in the future when something is written
to the log.

Regards
--
^(TM)