httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rotatelogs - Adding timeout for reading from stdin
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:26:17 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently rotatelogs (at least on windows) holds the initial
>> log file by parent process (well it tries to rotate if something
>> is written from parent which is impossible for access logs).
>>
>> I plan to use the apr_wait_for_io_or_timeout before calling
>> the apr_file_read(f_stdin, ...). This would give a chance
>> to parent to rotate his log as well and release the initial
>> log file descriptor.
>>
>> Would that make any problems if executed in the parent?
>> Since apr_wait_for_io_or_timeout is posix only API, some
>> #ifdef _WIN32 would be required in rotatelogs
>
> Wouldn't it be better if we simply implement the mechanism to share
> the same handle between the parent and child?

Since the parent does not receive any access log hits how
would that prevent it from holding that handle forever?

> I'd leave rotatelogs alone, please.  Its design is not flawed.  But
> I think Jim was working on something which would release the file
> just as soon as its time is up, and that is useful across all of
> the architectures, not windows specific.

Using 1 second wait before reading from the stdin would give
the required rotate resolution. In case of APR_TIMEUP it's
just a continue in the for (;;) loop giving change to rotate
logic to handle the files.

For Windows we can use apr_file_pipe_timeout_set(f_stdin, ...
Dunno if there's a bug in APR/win32, but you can actually always
set a timeout on a apr_file_t unlike on unix where this
is possible only if apr_file_t is a pipe.

And I would certainly like to hear from Jim what he proposes
for rotatelogs solution for holding the file handles in parent.

Regards
--
^(TM)