httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: file listing oddity
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 05:00:50 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2009, at 9:48 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>>
>>> Likely moot right now (r779989) but +1 to either removing
>>> APR_FNM_PERIOD or changing pattern to NULL...  the APR_FNM_PERIOD
>>> fix is likely better since the * pattern was a holder, iirc, from
>>> the old dir glob code.
>>
>> Good point; these are separate fixes, both would make sense.  There's
>> no reason to do the '*' processing in the first place.
>>
>> So I hear you that ls * in mod_ftp or http autoindex ?P=* should both
>> behave as autoindex <NULL pattern> does today, displaying dot files?
>
> With other FTP servers, 'ls' and 'ls *' behave the same but
> do not show dot-files. Only 'ls -a' would

That's my observation, too.  Note there are a host of features that we
totally ignore today, and my inclination is just to rewrite this support
to handle the common ones (found in two or more servers).  Wish they
would all just play the MLST game of displaying every file and playing
no pattern matching game :)

> Likely moot right now (r779989) but +1 to either removing
> APR_FNM_PERIOD or changing pattern to NULL...  the APR_FNM_PERIOD
> fix is likely better since the * pattern was a holder, iirc, from
> the old dir glob code.

I should have read all the deltas in that path; there is no way that
this belonged in that patch, I'm sorry.  That was sitting in my tree
for testing and I missed it in committing the back-compatibility patch.

So... I'm happy to reintroduce dot-files for the duration of the next
beta and roll it tomorrow; I'm also fine with putting off the next
beta a week or two and adding dot-file, dash-option support (along
with other sundry dash-options.)  Any opinions?

Bill