httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:51:12 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2009, at 22:53, Graham Leggett wrote:
>
>>> This approach doesn't require any changes to httpd itself as the
>>> ability to do this becomes a feature of just the module supporting
>>> that scripting language, eg, mod_lua. The same could also be done for
>>> other scripting languages.
>>>
>>> So, if your aim is to be able to do everything within the one Apache
>>> configuration file, rather than out in separate scripts, this would
>>> seem in part to satisfy the requirement.
>>
>> I like this.
>>
>> In theory, you could have a mod_java, or anything really.
>

> As one of the folks who answers the "How Do I" questions every day,
> while that would indeed be neato and nifty, it behooves us to pick a
> configuration file syntax, not say "do it in whatever language amuses you."
>
> We've had configuration in Perl for years, but we don't push it because
> most of our audience looks at us like aliens when we suggest it. The
> folks savvy enough to use the Perl configuration can go find it and do
> it that way, and can indeed do powerful things with it.
>
> But the vast majority of the folks that actually admin the server don't
> want to be told to script their configuration in the programming
> language of their choice. They want a howto recipe, and they want it to
> work without having fiddle about with learning complicated syntax.
>
> I'd also humbly request that we *not* put "Lua" in the configuration
> directives. If folks are configuring a virtual host, they aren't going
> to be looking for directives starting with Lua*. Over the years we seem
> to have moved from giving configuration directives whatever name sprang
> to mind, to giving them function-based names that people will actually
> find in the documentation. Let's not scrap that. Our users don't care
> that it's implemented in Lua, and shouldn't have to care.

I think I made the same point a little earlier, you have no argument
from me.

The point being made above was that it is possible for people to plug in
scripting languages into the server hooks themselves. This may allow the
flexibility of configuration and operation that people are looking for,
while leaving the core method of configuration alone.

Regards,
Graham