httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 04:49:33 GMT
Brian McCallister wrote:

> I would like to see the *output* of configuration be a struct (of
> structs), and the actual config files are never looked at again (until
> reload). At that point we don't need to care how it is built, and we
> can try using lua, vcl, xml, jelly, groovy, windows ini files, or
> plists :-)
>
> I suspect (and, kind of, hope) lua will win.

I looked at this a few years ago, and modularising the config shouldn't
be difficult.

Essentially the config is built by looping through tokens, and calling
the config hook for each token.

Right now, the tokens happen to be a single line in a file, but there is
no need for it to be. The tokens could come from a piece of lua code
building an array, or perl, or a flat file (like now), or LDAP (which
was my interest at the time I looked at this), or XML, or whatever.

Regards,
Graham