httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jorge Schrauwen <jorge.schrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 19:47:57 GMT
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Akins, Brian <Brian.Akins@turner.com> wrote:
> On 6/3/09 2:45 PM, "Jorge Schrauwen" <jorge.schrauwen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to admit lua would be more flexible but I think most server
>> admins have atleast come into contact with XML... while not
>> necessarily the case with lua.
>
> XML with conditionals. Please, make it stop...
>
> I think we are going to have to choose one way (the current way, lua,
> something else) and just go with it.
>
> Nice thing about lua is that the configuration is the runtime "script."
> There is no external and internal representation of things. (Well, not
> exactly, but close...).  Lua is fast enough to just run every request - most
> of the "hard" stuff is still in C.

I think going with a language "X" based config system will just give
us more horrible questions and make it even harder to trouble shoot
things like request X works but request Y doesn't.

You might as well provide a building block method and the config c
based, will scare off the more casual users just like lua and only
allow the oncs who know what they are doing write a decent
configuration. (ok that last one is maybe a bit over exaggerated but
going pure program language based is a very big learn before usage
curve)

Jorge