httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jorge Schrauwen <>
Subject Re: Some ramblings on httpd config
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:45:18 GMT
I know I'm playing with fire now but...

XML based config could solve a few of the problems, XML can also be validated.

I have to admit lua would be more flexible but I think most server
admins have atleast come into contact with XML... while not
necessarily the case with lua.

of course a sort of <code lang="lua">some lua config stuff</code>
would be possible to

if httpd would export some binding glue module for example
lua,c,perl,... could be provided so complex configurations can
potentially be done in a language the admin is familiar with.

puts down the oil and matches and waits for the blaze to start.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Akins, Brian <> wrote:
> On 6/3/09 2:09 PM, "Joachim Zobel" <> wrote:
>> This does IMHO not address any of the problems users usually have and
>> that are mainly due to a lack of validation.
> First of all, I don't really care about "normal" users, to be honest. Admit
> it, I'm not the only one.  However, I do know that we can't just break
> everything for them.
>> See
>> for what I consider a good description of the current problems.
> It solves most of the "Missing" page, I think. Also, if the lua doesn't
> compile, it's not a valid config.  A few of the other points are addressed
> by using lua with some "helper" libraries.
> We could ease into this by having modules provide some lua glue for use in
> the lua handlers (proxy and cache in particular).
> --
> Brian Akins
> Chief Operations Engineer
> Turner Digital Media Technologies