httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_substitute memory problem
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:47:06 GMT
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:11:16 +0200
Nick Gearls <nickgearls@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. The memory is not freeed at the end of the HTTP request.
> Maybe is it due to Keep-alive?

It's recycled within the server.

> If using the "q" switch to not flatten the buckets, it uses almost no
> memory. Btw, it correctly handles more 60 substitutions on the same
> line (some shorter, some longer) without the q flag !?! When exactly
> is this flag needed?

Rarely, IMO.  When I wrote mod_line_edit - which does essentially the
same as mod_substitute - I didn't provide that option, and instead
documented it as not working with overlapping substitutions.

Another "slow by default" flag in mod_substitute is that it
uses regexps by default.  Turn them off unless you definitely
need them!

> Anyway, I do not understand why the memory is not released, as the
> pool is supposed to be destroyed.

It's recycled within the server.

mod_sed is now the state-of-the-art.  Perhaps a visit to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_sed.html
would be in order.

--
Nick Kew