httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r773881 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x: CHANGES STATUS include/http_core.h modules/filters/mod_include.c server/config.c server/core.c
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 19:25:29 GMT
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > Does somebody else care to share their opinion on this?  Which of these
> > are okay?
> >
> > - existing mod_perl releases (and potentially other third-party modules)
> > won't compile with 2.2.12
>
> CORE_PRIVATE may be broken from release to release, it's a necessary
> concession to prevent utter stagnation :(

The bits are not CORE_PRIVATE.

You can find sample Perl code on the web that even tests these bits, though
it isn't clear to me if that is a normal practice when using the
Perl/mod_include interface.

> I believe it was a mistake that this particular symbol/this particular
> directive is not a part of the mod_includes internals :(

Perhaps, though mod_include does have a plug-in interface and we have this
non-internal-detail-sounding function called ap_allow_options().  The
include option variants could be interesting to such a plug-in.

> So given we have a .23 mmn bump, perhaps document this in that section.
> But the actual behavior of this flag changes significantly and I can't
> see how to properly maintain mod_perl, deep internal compatibility.

The requirement is to fix combinations of option specifications in the main
conf file and .htaccess.  There's nothing incompatible with mod_perl there.
We just can't change the meaning of existing bits.