httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy hooks for clustering and load balancing
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 20:09:49 GMT

On May 6, 2009, at 3:32 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> We should experiment freely on trunk/ to come up with the right
> solutions,
> and also freely discard those solutions from the next release
> branch.  But
> we shouldn't throw changes willy nilly over to 2.2, but as Paul
> says, let's
> focus on making 2.4 "the best available version of Apache" with all
> of the
> new facilities that come with it.

What new facilities? Are we moving to serf, for example?

It's for these reason that I suggested that before we start breaking
trunk by adding stuff willy-nilly we branch off a 2.4 tree... If we
would say "this is 2.4... clean it up and fix it" then we could get
2.4 out soon. Instead, we have trunk being both a experimental
sandbox for new stuff and the *only* place these will see the light
anytime soon is in backporting to 2.2.

If we are serious about 2.4, we branch now. trunk remains the dev branch
and we clean-up the 2.4 branch and backport from trunk to 2.4...
We cannot "experiment freely" on trunk and at the same time try
to focus down a 2.4 release...