httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy / mod_proxy_balancer
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 13:13:31 GMT

On May 6, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Jess Holle wrote:

> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>>
>>> Should general support for a query URL be provided in
>>> mod_proxy_balancer?  Or should this be left to mod_cluster?
>> Can you explain more? I don't get the question.
> What I mean is
> 	• Should mod_proxy_balancer be extended to provide a balancer
> algorithm in which one specifies a backend URL that will provide a
> single numeric health metric, throttle the number of such requests
> via a time-to-live associated with this information, and balance on
> this basis or
> 	• Should mod_cluster handle this issue?
> 	• Or both?

Please recall that, afaik, mod_cluster is not AL nor is it part
of Apache. So asking for direction for what is basically an external
project on the Apache httpd dev list is kinda weird :)

In any case, I think the hope of the ASF is that this capability is
part of httpd, and you can see, with mod_heartbeat and the like,
efforts in the direction.

But the world is big enough for different implementations...