httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release httpd mod_ftp-0.9.3 beta?
Date Sat, 30 May 2009 22:06:50 GMT
Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> I'm not saying we shouldn't make it easy to provide and alternative
> path for apxs it being a little config mod or be it a parameter.

Neither was I :)  As Guenter pointed out, distros were "forced" to rename
apxs to apxs2 because we failed to do so.  But what about the distinction
between apxs2 and apxs22?  Or some apxs24 or apxs3 in the future?

We should help people in this, but without distributors coming back and
hollering "whoa! problem!" how do they expect to provide us with some
standardized solution?  So they each invent their own, and then gripe
when accommodating each of their their forks is rejected by the project?

Guenter - your first challenge on httpd trunk is to convince the project
that /usr/bin/apxs for 2.4/3.0 would be a stupid mistake to repeat, so
that we change our ways :)  If your proposal involves naming it apxs2 or
apxs3, then you might kill two birds in one stone.