httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release httpd mod_ftp-0.9.3 beta?
Date Sat, 30 May 2009 00:27:52 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Sure that its possible to specify the full path at commandline, but tell
> me a reason why we should make it harder for users than needed?

The question is; which forks are we accommodating?  What scope?  .1% of
installed userbase?  (whoops - better restore win9x quick!)  Seriously,
if someone is using the fork, and grabbing packages, they just grab the
mod_ftp package, so no big deal.

Totally cool with adding a note to README-FTP about the APXS=apxs2 trick
for those affected.

I'm not disagreeing that it's potentially stupid for us to ship 'apxs'.
I'm disagreeing that the appropriate place to fix conventions is here.
And if folks don't want to play in such an open ecosystem, there is next
to nothing we are going to fix in this, but we don't have to become party
to perpetuating it.  Watching the good folks at users@, #httpd etc tear
their hair out at vendor stupidity or cleverness is not 'fun'.