httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r774884 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/log.c
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 21:06:30 GMT
rjung@apache.org wrote:
> Author: rjung
> Date: Thu May 14 19:13:17 2009
> New Revision: 774884

> Log:
> Revert r774755: ap_server_root_relative() for
>
> piped loggers is nonsense. It doesn't work when
> the logger path contains whitespace.

Ok; not sure what you mean here.  All of the following work today
provided the cwd is the path of httpd root;

ErrorLog "|/opt/apache\ server/bin/rotatelogs logs/foo.log 1M"
ErrorLog "|"c:\program files\apache\bin\rotatelogs" logs/foo.log 1M"
ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs logs/foo.log 1M"

Now even if the good intentions of the patch helped to resolve the
program-path, it doesn't help to solve the other argv elts which
represent paths.  The solution is for the cwd to be the server root.

> We already allow relative paths because we open
> the log program via the shell.

:)

> Code was taken from mod_rewrite and mod_log_forensic,
> which need to be still fixed (removing
> ap_server_root_relative() should suffice).

Right.  So here's the deal...

All that forked code in rewrite, log_forensic, dumpio, ssl, etc etc
must die.  Even significant bits of custom_log.

Let's get Joe's patch in, and let me get on that refactoring, because
I think the correct refactorings by Joe and I resolve 95% of the bugs
surrounding the logging schema.