httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: mod_proxy hooks for clustering and load balancing
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 06:35:12 GMT
On 06.05.2009 22:31, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On May 6, 2009, at 4:20 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> I'll stop worrying about 2.2 when 2.4 comes closer to being a reality.
>>>
>>> Not saying that releasing 2.4 isn't worth it, but there have been
>>> stops and
>>> starts all along the way, and I think we need to be clear on what we
>>> expect 2.4 to be. Until then, we have no clear defining line on when
>>> 2.4 is "done."
>>
>> Is there anything additional that we want v2.4 to do over and above what
>> it does now?
>>

> Well, that's the question, isn't it? I can't align the idea
> of trunk being a candidate for 2.4 and trunk being a place for
> people to experiment...
>
> What do we want 2.4 to be and do. And how.
>
> Once we define (and agree) to that, we know how close (or far)
> trunk is. It sounds like we have some set that wants to break
> trunk apart and totally refactor a lot of it, and that's a big +1.
> It's also not a 3-4 month effort :) It also sounds like there
> are people who want 2.4 to be an upgrade to 2.2 as 2.2 was compared
> to 2.4, and a big +1 to that as well. But BOTH of these are using
> the exact same dev branch, and there's no general agreement on which
> we want... if you get my point ;)
>
> If we branch off 2.4 right now from trunk, and say that this becomes
> our next main release, and the idea is to clean up what is there,
> and, for new experimental stuff, develop on trunk 1st and then
> backport to 2.4, I'll jump right on in, since it means code will
> be out and released and *used* sooner!

I expect there is already enough interesting new material in trunk right
now and users will find it a valuable 2.4. So yes, focus should be on
getting this out of the door.

If any trunk experiments turn out to be ready before 2.4.0 and backport
is low risk, we can backport (also if they are compatible with 2.4.x we
can backport later than 2.4.0).

To be clear: the OP (new mod_proxy hooks) might not be compatible with
the momentary trunk (breaking configuration), so before branching, the
question would also be: does anyone want to do something important soon,
that he wants to be in 2.4 and will be incompatible API wise or
configuration wise with the momentary trunk.

Regards,

Rainer