httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy / mod_proxy_balancer
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 13:23:48 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Can you explain more? I don't get the question.
>> What I mean is
>>     • Should mod_proxy_balancer be extended to provide a balancer
>> algorithm in which one specifies a backend URL that will provide a
>> single numeric health metric, throttle the number of such requests
>> via a time-to-live associated with this information, and balance on
>> this basis or
>>     • Should mod_cluster handle this issue?
>>     • Or both?
> Please recall that, afaik, mod_cluster is not AL nor is it part
> of Apache. So asking for direction for what is basically an external
> project on the Apache httpd dev list is kinda weird :)
>
> In any case, I think the hope of the ASF is that this capability is
> part of httpd, and you can see, with mod_heartbeat and the like,
> efforts in the direction.
>
> But the world is big enough for different implementations...
You're right -- I was being weird.  Sorry.

I guess part of the reason for my asking was whether the ASF was
basically saying "we're not chasing this problem, see mod_cluster folk
if you need it solved" -- and, if so, hoping to get a little starting
info as to what I'd be getting into chasing mod_cluster.

I'd like to see this capability in httpd itself -- or at least have it
very easy to add in a very seamless fashion via a pluggable custom
balancer algorithm (without other larger configuration side effects) --
and thus would hope the ASF sees this as within the scope of httpd's
core suite of modules.

--
Jess Holle