httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: 204/304 follow-up
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 16:47:47 GMT
On May 17, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Edward Z. Yang wrote:

> Hello Roy,
>
> Two months ago a patch was committed to Apache which prevented Apache
> from sending content body when forbidden by the HTTP protocol, namely
> 204 and 304 response.  You vetoed this patch, and said that the patch
> applied to the incorrect code and should be put somewhere else.
>
> I was curious to know as to where you thought the patch would be more
> appropriately applied.

Where the 204/304 response is generated.  I have not seen any examples
where that isn't already being done.  The core server code is in

http_protocol.c:ap_send_error_response()

     /* We need to special-case the handling of 204 and 304 responses,
      * since they have specific HTTP requirements and do not include a
      * message body.  Note that being assbackwards here is not an
option.
      */
     if (status == HTTP_NOT_MODIFIED) {
         ap_finalize_request_protocol(r);
         return;
     }

     if (status == HTTP_NO_CONTENT) {
         ap_finalize_request_protocol(r);
         return;
     }

Something similar is in the proxy.

If you know of a specific place where we are sending a body with
one of those codes, then please point it out.

....Roy