httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jorge Schrauwen <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release httpd mod_ftp-0.9.3 beta?
Date Sat, 30 May 2009 22:24:45 GMT
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<> wrote:
> Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
>> I'm not saying we shouldn't make it easy to provide and alternative
>> path for apxs it being a little config mod or be it a parameter.
> Neither was I :)  As Guenter pointed out, distros were "forced" to rename
> apxs to apxs2 because we failed to do so.  But what about the distinction
> between apxs2 and apxs22?  Or some apxs24 or apxs3 in the future?
> We should help people in this, but without distributors coming back and
> hollering "whoa! problem!" how do they expect to provide us with some
> standardized solution?  So they each invent their own, and then gripe
> when accommodating each of their their forks is rejected by the project?
> Guenter - your first challenge on httpd trunk is to convince the project
> that /usr/bin/apxs for 2.4/3.0 would be a stupid mistake to repeat, so
> that we change our ways :)  If your proposal involves naming it apxs2 or
> apxs3, then you might kill two birds in one stone.

Personally I'd go for renaming (backwards aswel to

and having apxs being a symlink of sorts
like "apxs -s 22" will set 22 as the default but also providing na one
time overwrite
something like apxs -v 22 will use it only for this runtime instance.

Not ideal but it does provide a long term solution but probably not ideal.

View raw message