httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy / mod_proxy_balancer
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 20:55:57 GMT

On May 5, 2009, at 4:41 PM, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> I think we need it for few reasons:
> - When a worker is idle the information about its load is irrelevant.

Agreed... but I'm not sure how age affects this :)

> - Being able to calculate throughput and load balance using that
> information is only valid if you have a kind of ticker.

For a balancer that worries about time-related balancing, yes,
I agree.

> - In some tests I have made with a mixture of long sessions and
> single request "sessions" you need to "forget" the load caused by
> the long sessions.

Now that is weird :)

> The next question is how do we call the ageing?
> - Via a thread that calls it after an elapsed time.
> - When there is a request and the actual time is greater than the
> time we should have call it.

I prefer the latter... IMO, I would prefer performance over
accuracy, and so I'd like faster evaluation even if it means
instead of 60/40 (for example), we have 58/42 or so...