httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: open_logs vs post_config
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:08:29 GMT

On 7 Apr 2009, at 00:14, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Nick Kew wrote:
>> As a matter of curiosity, why do we have two separate hooks with
>> identical signatures running consecutively?  AFAIK it's not
>> historic -
>> it goes right back to 2.0-early-dev in 1999.
>>
>> The MPMs use open_log to open listeners - an entirely different task,
>> and they even comment about "should be a post_config ... but need
>> to come earlier".  Wouldn't it make sense in this instance just to
>> migrate everything to post_config?
>
> open_logs were expected to open the log files, thereby removing
> whatever
> interesting stuff would be logged to console/dmesg off to a error.log.
>
> Now folks noticed that listener failure wasn't logged (whoops) so
> it was
> then moved to open listeners before the log files.
>
> IOW attempting to please everyone?

... whereas, if we had only the one hook (let's call it post_config),
it would
be straightforward to run open_logs with a simple APR_HOOK_FIRST ...

BTW, what took me there today was the error message I get from
starting a newbuild trunk with no MPM loaded.  A WTF moment!
Some more work to do there, methinks.

--
Nick Kew