httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: open_logs vs post_config
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:14:37 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> As a matter of curiosity, why do we have two separate hooks with
> identical signatures running consecutively?  AFAIK it's not historic -
> it goes right back to 2.0-early-dev in 1999.
>
> The MPMs use open_log to open listeners - an entirely different task,
> and they even comment about "should be a post_config ... but need
> to come earlier".  Wouldn't it make sense in this instance just to
> migrate everything to post_config?

open_logs were expected to open the log files, thereby removing whatever
interesting stuff would be logged to console/dmesg off to a error.log.

Now folks noticed that listener failure wasn't logged (whoops) so it was
then moved to open listeners before the log files.

IOW attempting to please everyone?