httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward Z. Yang" <ezy...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: svn commit: r760167 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/util_script.c
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:44:49 GMT
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Filling obscure areas of the server with stupid hacks that modify
> the request structure because of something the content generator
> *might* do is harmful to overall stability.

A common error in content generators is to have gzip compression enabled
globally, and forget to turn it off for empty content responses
(resulting in some spurious gzip garbage being passed off).

> 204 and 304 are already
> handled elsewhere (or, if not, they should be handled elsewhere).

I did a quick grep through Apache's source code (for both the status
code and the #define constant), and the only relevant code I could find
was related to determining keep alive. Where would you recommend putting
the patch?

Cheers,
Edward