httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] mod_cloudbeat
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:36:04 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> no, this is just a utility module, which tells you where other members are.
>
> second, mod_backhand has never been ported to 2.x, and it does allow
> you to autoconfigure on cloud-enviroments, which mostly do not have
> private VLANs for multicast.
>
> I'm trying to keep it as a simple module that does a small number of
> utility tasks well, and then it provides this information for other
> people and modules to use -- mod_serf or mod_proxy can consume that
> data to do proxying/load balancing or whatever.

On my list of things to do is a module that is able to locate backend
servers using zeroconf/bonjour, and this sounds similar (although not
the same, obviously).

Does a generalised server-wide hook/provider exist to do "lookups",
where a lookup could be something trivial, like round robin DNS, to
something more complex, such as what you're proposing?

Regards,
Graham