httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "M. Brian Akins" <br...@akins.org>
Subject Re: what is in modules vs what is in the core
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 02:25:39 GMT

On Mar 30, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

> mod_watchdog is the latest offender in a series of modules that expose
> additional functions to the API. (mod_proxy and mod_cache do too!)
>
> What happened to all functions that are not inside server/* must be
> either dynamic optional functions or hooks?

Some modules (mostly 3rd party??) allow it either way - optional
function or just linkage.  I'm personally a fan of hooks and
providers.  (With providers, I usually just do the lookup once in,
say, post-config, and "cache" the results in the "subscribing" module
- this saves some hash lookups on potentially every single request.)

As I hack on some lua stuff, it's useful to have the symbols for
functions.  That may just be because I'm lazy, because I could do
optional function lookups in library opens, I suppose.  OT, but I like
my Lua glue in a lua module and just use "require
'apache2.memcache'" (or whatever) to do the linking.  This works
really well with per thread lua states that are all loaded at
startup... (hint, hint)

--Brian