httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new watchdog module
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 19:06:45 GMT
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>

>> A long-standing design point for Apache on Unix is that we have a
>> single-threaded parent, because of all the problems which could conceivably
>> be caused by the MPM forking a threaded process.
>>

> OK, that explanation is fair enough.
> I'll remove the parent code then.
>

>> As you say, Joe the Developer (certainly the Joes that can get it running
>> reliably without rare crashes) doesn't need the help either.
>>
>> I think this means that nobody needs it ;)
>>

> Well, here is the full code, just in case someone does
> since it's been already written ;)

In case it wasn't clear, I thought the scope of the discussion was the
ability to create a watchdog that promises to run in the Apache parent
process.  I'm +1 in concept to other watchdog capabilities as well as a
watchdog that might run in the parent on some non-Unix platforms ;)

Is it of no immediate use otherwise?