httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <br...@akins.org>
Subject Re: [mod_lua] vm management
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:09:27 GMT
On 2/6/09 8:09 AM, "Bertrand Mansion" <bmansion@mamasam.net> wrote:

> What do you call "slow" ? Do you have benchmarks ?

Some round numbers:
No Lua at all: 40k/sec
Our hack version (based on older mod_wombat): 34k/sec
New mod_lua: 20k

Most of this it seems is from the lua states being created for every single
request pool.  This is some lua that runs on every single request.

>  Do you have an
> example of applications that could benefit from this ?

Sure.  We have some lua that runs on (almost) every single request.  We do a
fair bit of requests a second.  The build up and tear down of states - while
cheaper than most scripting languages - is just unnecessary.  We are careful
about variable scoping, etc.

>Isn't this a
> way to shoot yourself in the foot ?

We already have several custom C modules, so we are more than comfortable
with load once, run many times.

Slightly OT: I had to stop using my work email for the list bcs the mailing
list mail servers don't like our corporate mail server.  So, it looks like
I'm just another hack.  A few folks can vouch for what I do with apache in
my day job...