httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Serving filenames with wildcards using mod_proxy_ftp
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:31:02 GMT
Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Also, in testing that change, I found that mod_proxy_ftp escapes
>> wildcards in filenames using backslashes when sending them to the FTP
>> server, which none of the FTP servers I was testing with understood.
>> To continue with my testing, I added another directive to turn that
>> behavior off, but I'd like to better understand why that behavior is
>> there, since it appears to assume a behavior that my FTP servers don't
>> have, and doesn't seem to be mentioned in RFC 959.
>>

> What backends/results did you try?  Does anyone have any anecdotal
> experience about what backends might require escaping of the glob
> characters on a retrieve?

As I recall, I tried vsftpd, proftpd, and Apache FTP server.

> I'm wondering if we add the feature, should we flip the default in trunk?

I would say yes.  I don't think this escaping could ever have been used
before, since any paths with globbing characters in them would have
triggered a file listing, which doesn't do the escaping.  So until now,
apache would never have tried to retrieve any file with globbing
characters in its name.

There's not really any reason to make this an option, now that I think
about it, unless someone comes up with an example of an ftp server that
needs it.  We might just want to remove the escaping code.

--
Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com>