httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_cache and module-based authentication
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:23:22 GMT
Jon Grov wrote:

> Our current workaround is to run two reverse proxy-instances, one which
> provides authentication (on port 80) and another providing cache (on port
> 7920, which is only accessible from within PROXY). A request then
> first hits the authentication proxy on port 80, and if valid, is
> forwarded to the caching proxy on local port 7920.
>
> This works, but it feels somewhat suboptimal, and we would much prefer to be
> able to use one instance to serve both purposes.

I have been tasked with solving a very similar problem: the ability to
optionally place the cache anywhere in the output filter chain (instead
of replacing the whole filter chain, as now).

The rationale is that we need to cache content before the INCLUDES
filter gets hold of the content, and that is currently not possible.
Give me a day or two.

Regards,
Graham