httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new watchdog module
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 05:36:17 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>>> I would like to commit this module to trunk.
>>> It's a watchdog module that creates a worker threads
>>> either in parent, child via an API, and it's not for
>>> standalone use, but for other module usage like
>>> mod_heartbeat, probably mod_jk and others that need
>>> maintenance threads.
>>
>> It seems scary to me to have the MPM parent on Unix forking children while a
>> separate thread in that same process is running arbitrary code.  Surprising
>> problems can crop up when this arbitrary code is in certain states (maybe a
>> mutex gets inherited in held state by the new MPM child?)
>
> This seems to be a very valid concern to me. Plus in the parent it runs with root
> privileges and we should minimize the code that runs with these privileges, even
> more so as an author of code that uses the watchdog may not really be aware that
> its code is running under root (in contrast to people who develop modules like
> mod_unixd and mod_privileges).

The parent process watchdog is supposed to be used only for core
features that affect all children's and can be done without
requiring graceful restart.
Making the module running as root is very easy and
average 'Joe the Developer' can already use such a feature
with or without this option.

Regards
--
^(TM)